ⓘ Increase focus and support for the LWVUS position on immigration: In achieving overall policy goals, the League supports a system for unauthorized immigrants already in the country to earn legal status, including citizenship, by paying taxes, learning English, studying civics and meeting other relevant criteria…the League does not support deporting unauthorized immigrants who have no history of criminal activity…all persons should receive fair treatment under the law.
Outlook for work:
- Call on local and county police to conduct investigation and apprehension of immigrants in a fair and humane manner.
- With LWVMD, work to establish Immigration Reform as a legislative priority within the LWVUS. Urge that reform include a federal solution to the present denial to non-citizens of housing, health care and welfare services for those non-citizens whose low income levels would otherwise make them eligible.
- Enlist Spanish-speaking adults as mentors for reassuring and informing immigrant adults of the practices of our schools and systems for everyday living.
- Enlarge the number and scope of after-school and summer activities available to Hispanic/Latino
middle-school students, and encourage and promote participation in such programs by the students.
- Permit Anne Arundel County Community College to accept in-county resident tuition from any
graduate of a county high school who meets entrance requirements.
- Foster formation of a private non-profit Council for Immigrant Services composed of representatives of public and private organizations serving the immigrant population, including businesses, as well as the county and city Human Relations Commissions.